Many times children are born with some developmental disorder or suffer from some critical illness soon after birth, for which surgery is needed. Surgeries performed in the first month of life are termed Neonatal Surgeries and are needed to correct many conditions. Some common ones are:
- Necrotising Enterocolitis – infection and inflammation of the intestines.
- Mal-development of the oesophagus or intestines.
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia.
- Urogenital malformations.
- Ano-rectal malformations
Things to Follow after Neonatal Surgery:
Neonatal surgeons always guide the parents about how to take care of their babies after a surgery but here are a few general tips:
- Parents must not allow many people to visit or handle the baby.
- Every person handling the baby should wash their hands before touching them.
- No one should be allowed to smoke in the baby’s room/house or near the baby.
- People who are ill especially those who have fever, cough or cold should stay away from the baby.
- Adults in contact with the baby should ideally take Tdap vaccine to stop the spread of Tetanus, Pertusis and Diptheria.
- Post surgery the baby should not be taken to crowded places.
- Proper hygiene and cleanliness should be maintained in the house.
Dr. Vishesh Dikshit is Pediatric Surgeon in Pune with expertise in all types of pediatric surgical procedures. He is adept in the art of performing minimally invasive surgery, Thoracic and Thoracoscopic surgeries, Laparotomy and Laparoscopic surgeries, Minimal Access Urinary Stone Management etc. Book your appointment today with Dr. Vishesh Dikshit for any queries about your child’s condition.