Surgery via the Laparoscopic and Thoracoscopic approach can be very safely performed in the Neonatal period too. It can be used to treat conditions diagnosed before or soon after birth.
Some conditions which can be treated with Neonatal Laparoscopic Surgery are :
- Mesentric cysts.
- Ovarian cysts.
- Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis.
- Annular pancreas.
- Intestinal blockages.
- Esophageal atresia.
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia.
- Hirschsprung’s disease.
- Lung tumors and lesions.
- Tracheoesophageal fistula.
- Necrotizing enterocolitis.
Conditions for Neonatal Laparoscopic Surgery
Every surgery is different. It depends on the specific condition, procedure and the age of the child. During a neonatal laparoscopic surgery –
- A doctor will give anesthesia to the child. They will remain asleep at the time of the procedure and they do not feel pain.
- The surgical team will make small keyhole like incisions instead of an open and large incision.
- They will then insert a camera or a miniature instrument into the incision.
- The performance of surgery is visualized on a monitor to see detailed and high-resolution images of the operating site.
- After the surgery the instruments are removed and the incisions are closed.
- After the procedure is done, your child will be transferred to a recovery unit.
Advantages of Neonatal Laparoscopic Surgery
Neonatal laparoscopic surgery is minimally invasive. Benefits consist of little to no scars, shorter recovery time and less pain. Also there is less chance of wound infection.
Dr. Vishesh Dikshit will help if your baby needs neonatal laparoscopic surgery. He is adept in the art of performing minimally invasive surgery, Thoracic and Thoracoscopic surgeries, Laparotomy and Laparoscopic surgeries, Minimal Access Urinary Stone Management etc. Book your appointment today with Dr. Vishesh Dikshit for any queries about your child’s condition.