What is a Pediatric Surgeon?
When your child needs medical treatment, you want him or her to have the very best care available. So it stands to reason that if your child needs an operation, you will want to consult with a surgeon who is qualified and experienced in operating on children. Surgeons who specialize in general surgery often provide surgical care for children, and they are fully qualified to perform many operations on children. In more urbanized areas of the country, another kind of surgeon – the pediatric surgeon – is also available to provide comprehensive surgical care for children. Pediatric surgeons operate on children whose development ranges from the newborn stage through the teenage years.
What is the pediatric surgeon’s role in treating the child?
Pediatric surgeons are primarily concerned with the diagnosis, preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of surgical problems in children. Some medical conditions in newborns are not compatible with a good quality of life unless these problems are corrected surgically. These conditions must be recognized immediately by neonatologists, pediatricians, and family physicians. Pediatric surgeons cooperate with all of the specialists involved in a child’s medical care to determine whether surgery is the best option for the child.
What Types of Treatments Do Pediatric Surgeons Provide?
- Surgery for abnormalities of the groin in childhood and adolescence which include undescended testes, hernias, hydroceles and varicoceles
- Surgical repair of birth defects
- Serious injuries that require surgery (for example, liver lacerations, knife wounds, or gun shot wounds)
- Diagnosis and surgical care of tumors
- Transplantation operations
- Endoscopic procedures (bronchoscopy, esophagogastroduodenoscopy, colonoscopy)
- All other surgical procedures for children
What difference can a pediatric surgeon make?
Pediatric surgeons specialize in the surgical care of children. They are surgeons who, by training, are oriented toward working with children and understanding their special needs. In addition, they work with various specialists who are also oriented towards the next century. Pediatric surgeons are able to save whole lifetimes, and have the opportunity to follow their patients through a productive young life into adulthood.